My father's arrival fell on a Sunday evening. 은재 was kind enough to lend me her car to shuttle my dad home from the airport. As I turned the key I considered that I had only piloted a four-wheeled vehicle for a total of five minutes in the last six months. As I regained a bit of confidence I became proportionally impatient with the speed limit. 80 km/h (50 mph) feels superb on a motorcycle, but closer to a crawl in a car. It wasn't until my drive to the airport that it really hit me - I was about to pick up my dad! I wondered what it would feel like to see him after six months, and before I knew it, I had arrived at the airport. I had ample time to find my way to the arrival gate and prepared for that Kodak moment when I would see my dad's face emerge from (and most likely above) a sea of Koreans. I had no sooner found my lookout point when my dad snuck up behind me. He had hopped on an earlier flight and had been in Jeju for about an hour. After a big hug I drove home a jet-lagged dad. I remembered the previous summer when we carpooled to Kansas City and it was I who dozed off between sentences. We stopped for 우동 and 참치김밥 (dad's first Korean meal) before turning in early for the evening. We had a full two weeks ahead.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Dad's arrival in Jeju-do!
My father's arrival fell on a Sunday evening. 은재 was kind enough to lend me her car to shuttle my dad home from the airport. As I turned the key I considered that I had only piloted a four-wheeled vehicle for a total of five minutes in the last six months. As I regained a bit of confidence I became proportionally impatient with the speed limit. 80 km/h (50 mph) feels superb on a motorcycle, but closer to a crawl in a car. It wasn't until my drive to the airport that it really hit me - I was about to pick up my dad! I wondered what it would feel like to see him after six months, and before I knew it, I had arrived at the airport. I had ample time to find my way to the arrival gate and prepared for that Kodak moment when I would see my dad's face emerge from (and most likely above) a sea of Koreans. I had no sooner found my lookout point when my dad snuck up behind me. He had hopped on an earlier flight and had been in Jeju for about an hour. After a big hug I drove home a jet-lagged dad. I remembered the previous summer when we carpooled to Kansas City and it was I who dozed off between sentences. We stopped for 우동 and 참치김밥 (dad's first Korean meal) before turning in early for the evening. We had a full two weeks ahead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave a comment!