School has been grand as of late. The other day the children took turns telling me how there day was going and what they did over the weekend. It didn't take long before students just started chatting and completely ignoring the student who was talking. To help generate interest in what was being said, I told the students that they now had a choice - they could tell me what they did that weekend, or they could make up something completely false. Most students had difficulty understanding what I had said, but Jerry, who is one of the class clowns picked it up right away. He proceeded to tell me about his double life as a fifth grade Korean student and a world famous Californian chef who prepares food for famous clients in China. He told me all about his house in China and about how the previous weekend he had served food to President Obama. (Jerry has continued to use this identity for himself every time I ask about his weekends.) Oscar, who is certainly the best speaker in class, told me about his balloon travels around the world - he even made a stop in Kansas. Other students were not impressed by any of this and continued on with the usual, "I play computer game."... lame. While I was listening to Emperor's account of his weekend, Oscar had pulled out his electronic dictionary (complete with audio and visuals) and was presumably looking up useful vocabulary for our discussion. Shortly after a small crowd had gathered over Oscar's shoulder a quite electronic voice said, "male sexual organ." Apparently small boys worldwide share a common fascination.
On a more serious note... BB guns have become an issue in the last week. Yesterday I had to tell seven different students that guns are not allowed in school... Not cool
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave a comment!